how do you operate the cruise control. Each time i go in the car should i depress the o/d button on the shifter (once i do this, on the dash o/d off lights up) thanks look forward to answer

35

Asked by Nov 26, 2007 at 05:09 PM about the 1996 Mazda Protege 4 Dr LX Sedan

I have air conditioning, but a 1.5 liter, is that right?

43,935

Engine in these should be a 1.8L DOHC. The 8th Digit of your VIN number will tell you if you take it to an auto parts store. Turn off the O/D button each time you go in the car unless you are going to do highway driving with lots of flat area. Cruise control should be fairly simple, turn it on, then press the "Set" button when you are at your desired speed.

85

The OD button is for "overdrive," I don't think it has anything to do with cruise control... I'll try to answer your question about the cruise control though... I have a '98 Protege, but it should be pretty similar... On the left side of the steering wheel, there should be a couple buttons, one's for the rear defroster, one for the interior lights, and one says "cruise main" or something. You need to push that "cruise main" button (there may be a light on the button, but not on the dash). That doesn't SET the speed though, that just turns on the option. The controls for speed are most likely on the steering wheel or possibly on the "stick" for the windshield washer controls (that's where it is in my fiance's Hyundai Tiburon). Find the control area and there should be a button that says "set". Get to the speed you want and hit "set". When you hit the brake, cruise control will turn off and you need to reset it. If you hit the gas, you speed up temporarily then slow down when you let go. If you hit the "accelerate" button, the car's speed will rise and will automatically reset at the higher speed. "Coast" turns off the cruise control and you slow down, you'll need to hit "set" again. I'm not so sure about "resume". I normally just hit the brake when I need to slow down then just reset it again later. Test it out somewhere where there aren't many cars. And don't do it in the dark until you're really used to the controls. It's not really that beneficial unless you're going a long distance on roads with little traffic. It's not really worth setting it to go 2 minutes, slow down, set it again, go a couple more mins, speed up, set it again, and so on. Also, don't use it in the rain or snow!! I've heard that when it's slippery, if your tires loose grip with the ground, the car tries to speed up and you can "hydroplane". I'm not 100% sure it's true, but you're better safe than sorry and just forget cruise control then. I live over an hour from my college, so cruise control has come in quite handy on some of the high ways! I love it!

25

o/d is overdrive. it has nothing to do with it, except for that you want it on if you have the cruise control set. if you have cruise control, it should be on one of the levers that come off of the steering wheel. or, possibly on the dash on the left side of the steering wheel