1968 mustang fluids

45

Asked by Jun 28, 2013 at 01:30 PM about the 1998 Ford Mustang STD Coupe

I have bought a 1968 ford mustang 289 engine code C automatic. I am puzzled with a
small dipstick that is located on the front-right side of the engine, under the AC
compressor. It says USE AUTOMATIC TRANS FLUID. I am clueless as to what that
deposit is for and how to fill it up. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

No.1 you have to have the engine running in park No.2 there's going to be some hash marks or a knurled zone for the correct level No.3 Note the smell and color of your current fluid 4. Use a vuvuzela or special funnel to fill directly into the pull-stick hole 5.) USE AUTOMATIC TRANS FLUID~

Best Answer
235

Follow the pipe. Does it go to the tranny? I'm betting it does, and that you'd use a funnel to fill it after checking the level with the car in drive, (and someone standing on the brakes!) - does the current fluid smell?

It the device with the dipstick connected to a belt? Then its power steering, many cars use ATF on P/S

45

Thanks for the super fast response guys. Right now the dipstick is completely dry when I pull it out. So I should refill through the dipstick hole. Could there have been any issues for the time the car was low on this fluid?

Either way you do refill through the dipstick hole, but I am curious to know if it is connected to a belt?

45

Yes indeed, it is connected to a belt, just underneath the AC compressor, so no doubt about it, it is the power steering fluid. Thanks a lot everyone for the responses. I will take care of that tomorrow as the dipstick comes out completely dry. I hope that had not affected the car.

Just get the fluid in there asap.

45

Thanks a lot everyone. I will take care of this right away. This is no doubt an awesome forum. I will make it my favorite. Thumbs up!

45

Pic of the car...

235

Just don't DRIVE it to the auto repair shop! :) enjoy your new ride! I've got a '72 Mustang Grande - 351C - 428hp to the rear wheels after going thru a FMX tranny and a 9 inch rear... 6mpg if I get in it...and I ALWAYS get in it... but, so far, without any tickets!

no one commented on a vuvuzela....these things are useless until festival time...perfect for a transmission filler if you chop the mouthpiece off~...what else...makes a horrible sound anyways~

tiddle, in DRIVE? my friend...you've got to have a good parking brake...most Americans do not even know how to use one....in drive?? okay, man----surprised that you lived as long as you have....~

Why would Drive produce an accurate level? fluid begins to circulate, heats up and you've got a hash mark "full" presumably HOT, and the other hash mark for cold (lower level) is still good but temperature is a consideration....torque converter full of fluid will still be so neutral or drive...having trouble wrapping my head around this "check in drive" business....you might check this yourself to see if there is ANY change in fluid level Drive, Neutral or Park~....bet makes not a bit of difference...the only difference is going to be from thermal expansion.~

I didn't want to advertise my profound ignorance and ask what a vuvuzela is....sounds too much like female anatomy

And I must agree with the judge on that...I have owned many many Fords and right on the dipstick it's spelled out, "check in Park with engine running'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela do you not remember the World Cup...how these horns showed up out of nowhere...at the dollar store, crates of 'em....for two bucks bought two of them only they're sitting in my backyard as a holder for flowers~...cannot find a use for them....transmission filler comes to mind~

Now that is very intuitive. I bet they would function just fine for that.

everyone has a hacksaw....probably a sharp pair of scissors would get you there to modify this dollar store item (my dollar store went out of business [retired] and the World Cup ended ages ago, so probably is just one of those things....personally I find it exciting when the crowd is allowed to participate~

I guess tliddle is not coming back to explain his take on "Drive" to check ATF. The guy really seems to know what he is talking about, judging by his other posts, and I am really curious to see what he has to say.

I pointed out that the converter itself holds about a gallon and would hold the same whether friction (needed for take-off) was introduced into the soup or not~ asked him to check in P,N,D and compare...of course level is identical between all of these states...the color should be nice and the smell pleasant, not egregious....nor brown or black in color....these are signs of a Transmission that has been abused, ainahey, tiliddle?

45

Hi everyone my 68'mustang coupe strait 6 seems to lag web I press the gas is that normal watt can I do to fix this?

Take this onto a new thread please Jimmy...will take a whack at your problem with fresh real estate under us...please~

8,185

One note about the transmission fluid question. Yes, that is for your power steering. Make sure you use nothing but TYPE F transmission fluid. All Fords with power steering on a recirculating ball steering box use TYPE F transmission fluid, NOT Mercon or Dexron. The viscosity of the newer types is incorrect and you will blow the sector shaft seal on the steering box. That seal normally fails at about 30 years or 200,000 miles as a matter of routine, anyway. It is possible to replace the seal, but by that time, there is enough wear in the box to justify replacing it with a rebuilt unit.