What is meant by 5/6/2013 sold junk salvage by insurance company?

Asked by Jul 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM about the 1996 Mazda Millenia 4 Dr S Supercharged Sedan

I am looking at a 1999 Mazda Millenium to buy it for $3200, but the title shown to me by the seller says odometer 0, and the title shows an insurance company to be the prior owner. I have asked the seller about the last time the timing belt was changed, but she does not know and says she has no record of mechanical things done to the car. She said she had her mechanic change the fuel filter, so this signals me that for some reason she felt it necessary to change the filter. I questioned her if maybe the car might be experiencing fuel pump problems. Of course she said she did not know, but that she always changes the fuel filter before selling a car.

...okay, your going to get a "previously salvaged" title...which is okay, but do not expect any resale value...the value is in your perception...if it tracks straight and is a good car that's all that matters...right?

With a salvage title, keep two things in mind- you can not get comprehensive insurance for a vehicle with a salvage title, only liability- AND you have no idea WHAT happened to that car- could be something minor, like a fender bender- or it could have been something horrible causing the previous insurance company to declare the car a TOTAL write off- a flood, a major accident, fell off a cliff, a tree crushed it- WHO KNOWS they ain't talkin' you could pay a car detective to do some archaeology- but why not just pass and get somethin' else- the world is full of cars

You're looking at a car that's been totaled! Look elsewhere!!!

I agree 1000% with jamnblues and Tracy (Sorry Judge_Roy)...It's best to err on the side of caution and NOT trust the seller in this case. Hell, I had a large Dealership (who I thought was reputable) try to pawn off a Nissan Altima with a mysterious salvage title! It seemed ok looking at the car, but even CarFax didn't have the details on what caused the damage....as there as a gazillion used Altimas out there I passed on this one.....I STRONGLY suggest you avoid this situation and don't buy someone else's problem car!

Richard Boettger

It's an older car. It's a Millenium which, depending on the model, engine, etc, are known to have some costly issues. And they want $3200 for it. If you do not have the knowledge, tools, shop and parts available to repair this car, and if you are not "in love" with it, then PASS!