my car is leaking coolent by the thermostat housing

10

Asked by Jun 16, 2013 at 02:37 AM about the 1998 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

I replaced thermostat and radiator hose and still leaks

8,495

If there is a by-pass hose, that may need changing too. If that is not the case, you may have a defective or improperly installed gasket. The other thing is there could be part of the old gasket that did not get removed, or the thermostat housing could be cracked or warped. Also, check to make sure the new rad hose is tightened properly. Check the heater hoses, too. They are all in the one little area and what looks like a thermostat leak can be a heater hose.

ditto-

24,615

You didn't state what engine the car had but if it's the 5.0L - look at the opposite corner of the intake and see if it's leaking anything too. The 5.0L (302) is notorious for intake manifold gasket leaks after a few years of service, aluminum intake and cast-iron heads expand and contract at different rates and eventually the gaskets fail. If you vehicle has a 4.6L engine, it is very likely that the plastic intake manifold has split. Not uncommon. Either way, top up the cooling system and pressure test it. Since water (like electricity) follows the path of least resistance, be certain to actually see the leak before you call a failure.

Best Answer
10

I love my car and want to fix it I thought I had it fixeds but I dont .what do I do now

8,495

The next step is to take it to a mechanic, and have the cooling system pressure tested. That will show exactly where the leak is, and then you can proceed from there. You have the 4.6, so there i a better than even chance it is the intake manifold itself. There may be an upgraded part that can be used to prevent a recurrence of this problem. Good luck.

could get your own pressure tester if you distrust the mechanics around there~