Chnging a tire

5

Asked by Sep 17, 2007 at 04:37 PM about the 1996 Mazda 626 LX

I know this will sound stupid but I have a flat and can't get the front passenger side tire off. I purchased the car two weeks ago (love it) but am not that familiar with it yet. I removed the four lug nuts from the wheel. I then removed the safety lug nut (five total). The vehicle is raised high enough for the wheel to come off but it still won't budge although it will rotate a bit. I tried releasing the emergency brake without success. I tried putting the vehicle in neutral. again, no luck. I tried releasing the parking brake and putting the vehicel in neutral. The wheel will turn but stays put as if I have missed a hidden kug nut. I know there is something I am overlooking but can't imagine what it could be. Any suggestions? (I bet you're laughing as you answer this one.)

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx.

Carson
Carsinogen@Suddenlink.net

42,595

You may just need to bang on it. Seriously, sometimes tires can stick to the lugs even when the nuts are off, and taking a big hammer to the area around the lugs, being careful not to hit the lugs themselves and damage threads, is the easiest way to get them off. You can also try hitting the tire but you don't want to bounce the hammer off and dent the fender.

5

Your solution is correct but the difficulty, I found out, is that the aluminum alloy wheels form such a tight bond that they tend to semi-adhere to the opposite side after a number of miles. (I found this out by speaking to a gentleman in the Mazda Service Department. I asked, "You mean I actually need a bigger hammer?" and he answered in the affirmative.) It took a bit of pounding by hitting the backside of the wheel, rotating it a hit, another hit, another slight rotation and so on for more than two full revolutions before it slipped loose. Thanks for your response. I still feel like an idiot but a slightly lesser one. Happy motoring! -Carsinogen-