Upper Oil Pan Removal

Asked by May 07, 2011 at 05:33 PM about the 1996 Mazda 626 DX

I am trying to remove the upper oil pan on a 1996 Mazda 626 with a 2.0 motor. I have removed the lower oil pan, the 12 bolts that attach the upper oil pan to the block. I have removed 2 large and one smaller bolts attaching the upper oil pan to the bell housing. The upper oil pan will wiggle a little, perhaps 1/16" but it still feels like there is another bolt. I have tried separating the oils pan from the block using a small screw driver but it tightens up quickly. Does anyone have an first hand experience removing this upper oil pan?

there is a small bracket inside the bell housing with four ten mil. bolts that holds the upper pan to the block. you have to pull the tranny and flywheel to get to it. very stupid design, i know from experience cuz i just took my 2.0 apart on my 01 protege mp3 and tried to force it and broke this bracket. hope you read this before you make the same mistake

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks Lillanne, I came to the same conclusion. i put some force to it but i didn't break anything. i don't have time to pull the tranny now so i am putting the engine back together without removing the upper pan. I hope it doesn't leak too badly. Thanks for the answer.