Why does my car keep cutting off when I put it In drive

Asked by Jun 03, 2013 at 01:09 PM about the 1997 Mazda Protege 4 Dr LX Sedan

238,095

Idle too low, time for a tuneup?

24,255

Tuneup has nothing to do with idle quality. Look for un- metered air entering the engine between the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) and the throttle body. Does the car have a lot of miles and could the engine be worn out (low compression)? How does it run otherwise and how is the fuel mileage? If it misfires, Tom is right about Spark Plugs (plugs and filters are all that consists of a tuneup these days). Is there a "Check Engine" light on while driving? Several things can cause this condition.

1,145

First place I'd look on a Protege is the intake tube. They are prone to developing cracks which, as Tracy suggests, let's air in at all the wrong places and causes stalling issues.