Considering 2005 S4 purchase, low miles but unsure on price

10

Asked by Apr 13, 2014 at 04:41 PM about the 2005 Audi S4 Avant quattro AWD

2005 S4 with 44,800 miles, private seller asking $19,500.  Only 2 owners, seems to be in
very good shape.  I understand how hard it is to find this car with such low mileage, but
the price still seems a bit high - any thoughts on if it is reasonable?

72,515

Seems high to me as well. For that kind of money you can surely get a newer car with the same mileage on it. I'd keep looking if it were me. HTH. -Jim

895

That price is through the roof... So you need to understand why you are buying it... If you are planning on keeping and running into the ground and really love it, while still paying too much, you will enjoy it... If you think you are going to just drive it for a while and then trade it in, you are going to take a bath... I wouldn't pay over 10k for that car because mileage aside, it is a 10 year old car and there will be issues and Audi's traditionally do not hold a strong residual value... But if you love the car and want to keep it, you have to figure out what type of premium that car is worth...

585

my opinion is if he is the original owner and has the maintence records and so forth .The car cash I would offer 14k is fair since that leaves some room to have the car inspected and if you decided to not keep it in the future you wouldnt loose money on it.

10

Thank you so much for the feedback! I think I needed to hear it from someone else. Finding it hard to stay reasonable on what I'm willing to pay when I want the car so badly. This helps to keep things in perspective. I know I also need to keep in mind anticipated maintenance costs, which might be quite a bit

72,515

You're welcome. Buying a car can be an emotional endeavor. Sometimes an uninterested party's opinion can shed some light on things. Good luck with your search! -Jim