where is the auto transmission drain plug located on 2.0 engine

Asked by Dec 10, 2006 at 09:00 PM about the 1997 Mazda 626 DX

I need to change the transmission fluid myself,and need to know if there is a drain plug, or do I need to drop the pan?

19,845

Hello, I've been unable to find a picture of this transmission. I would recommend a quick call to a Mazda dealership. They may be able to walk you through this or at least refer you to someone who can. If this fails, I would recommend buying the Chilton's manual, perhaps on eBay where it would be less expensive. Best of luck! CarGrrl

There is a specific hose on the transmission of my 2000 626, but it is not ont the Chilton's manual or on any pictures on the web.

There isn't one. You have to pull the pan off. Have a big drain pan and a new gasket handy. If you find the transmission filter, let me know. I partially disassembled the transmission trying to find it before. Ross

I went to Mazda Dealer parts dept, they downloqaded diagram where the3 plug was located.Very simple, unscrewed plug and drained it.