just purchased a 1986 alfa spider. the oil pressure gauge shows at the half-way mark when the engine is cold but drops to one or two ticks above zero when the engine is hot. is this a reason for concern?

Asked by Nov 10, 2017 at 04:38 PM about the 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio RWD

33,485

Has the engine been rebuilt? If not, that is a 30 year old engine- it should be rebuilt- you can drive it, just don't play sports car in it- actually, unless the whole car has been rebuilt, there are lots of things on your Alfa ready to call it quits- including the oil pressure gauge-

50

Don't sweat it. My Alfa was rebuilt about 18 years ago, just before I bought it. I immediately started asking the same question of the local Alfa mechanic and was told the engine has both a pump and a dipper system on the crank shaft that splashes oil up into the vital parts. My Alfa spider has consistently done the same thing year after year since I bought it 17 years ago. I have put 65 K miles on it since I bought it and have never had a problem. Worry about the oil pressure if you want to, but it won't is totally unnecessary. Rebuild it if you want to, but it will do the same thing when you are finished. It is the nature of the beast.

Best Answer Mark helpful