check engine light has code P0453

5

Asked by Mar 02, 2016 at 06:50 AM about the 1998 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT SUV

I have 178000 on my 98 4.0l SOHC and when I went to emissions test I failed for a P0453 code. I had diagnostics done and Ford said that sensor isn't even on my truck! What do I do to pass emissions test. I know its an EEV code, so there may be a vacuum leak somewhere in the fuel system, maybe the charcoal canister or a line?

16,620

Was your engine changed previously? I believe the 4.0 SOHC engine was not introduced until 1999, where both the OHV 4.0 and SOHC 4.0 were used. Make sure the test technician did not enter the wrong engine when entering the test specifications.

5

This is the same engine I bought in the truck 14 yrs ago. The tech. used my vin # to look it up. They did have 4.0 OHV, SOHC and 5.0l as I see in the repair guide.

16,620

I stand corrected as to year the SHOC was introduced, it was 1997. But from your original post (No sensor on the truck) I assumed it was an OHV. From the repair manual. " On 1995 and later systems, fuel vapors are transferred from the fuel tank, etc to the C canister where they are stored when the engine is not operating. When the engine is running the fuel vapors are purged from the canister by the vapor management valve, which is PCM controlled and consumed during normal driving. The fuel tank pressure sensor relays the inside fuel tank pressure to the PCM which in turn regulates the EVAP system purge control system." Your vehicle is throwing a code for EVAP high sensor input according to the state technician. The ford technician is stating the vehicle is not equipped with one. The repair guide appears to indicate it does.

5

I understand what you said. What do I check, and where are the sensors? One is on the gas tank, I think. I believe I can find the C canister, but, how do I test it? Am I looking at a vacuum leak or a mechanical failure? I would appreciate a video to see the process on testing or replacing parts. They mentioned the PCM as a possible problem, but it was checked with a second one from an identical vehical. The original PCM is in the truck.

16,620

The fuel tank pressure sensor is normally located on top of the fuel tank. Since it is throwing a code I suspect it is operating as it should. It requires the tank be removed to replace. I would first suggest you take the vehicle to a mechanic shop which has a live data scan tool. The tool can verify the condition exists and can also electronically check other actuators to determine if they are at fault, like an EVAP purge valve or the fuel vapor management valve. All you can do is check the vapor hoses for blockages or collapse. (reason for excessive pressure) absent a malfunctioning solenoid or valve component. Checking the evap emission valve requires the fuel tank be removed. A visual inspection involves determining if the passage through the orifice is open to atmospheric pressure. If blocked, replace valve. You can check for blockages at the charcoal canister connections, but to check if the inside is blocked will require a pump capable of pressuring the canister to 2.5 PSI at the max before releasing and a gauge to verify that condition.

5

Thank you. I will do that.