I have a 2000 Mazda Protege 1.6 engine. It has started to stall when stopped and if it's not doing that when I press the gas pedal down it does not rev or move for several seconds. Spark plugs and wires were changed a year ago and it is saying a misfire is happening on the computer.

Asked by Aug 04, 2015 at 04:28 PM about the 2000 Mazda Protege LX

31,735

change fuel filter!

200

A "misfire" code could be anything from a coil pack going out to a vacuum leak. go to a good parts store and try their code reader and see if you can get a more specific code.

I had this issue with mine a while ago. I had to resort to shifting to neutral and keeping my foot on the gas peda while using the parking break to stop. I brought it it a garage to get fixed, and the mechanic said he had a couple other Mazda Proteges come in just that week with the same problem, and he couldn't figure out what was wrong. It was a little while later I got rid of it.