Guru, my engine light is on, if I install the new master airflow sensor will it go off , or should I have it cleared first.Thanks

Asked by Sep 11, 2014 at 06:05 PM about the 2000 Mazda Protege LX

1.6 liter motor

The first thing to do is have your computer scanned. Most auto parts stores, like Advance and Autozone, will do it for free. Post the trouble codes and we can help further. Don't waste money by throwing parts at it! HTH. -Jim

Thank you, I had it scanned , it read running to lean, erg was just cleaned out, not wanting to spend more money the tech suggested the MAS to be replced, that code I believe was 4206 for erg, thanks

Try to let us know the actual code, 4206 is not one of them. Did you try cleaning the MAF sensor first? A lot of times a code indicating the MAF is detecting a problem, it isn't the MAF, but something else.

THANKS, I will get the actual code, I MAF WAS filthy full of soot with no apparent vaccum inside the airintake box, I did change it now its vacumning away, I hope this ends the nightmare of the Engine light, if not ill be back, thanks for your time.

You're welcome, glad to help. Hope it's fixed. -Jim