when started n Idle/running, rpm bounces between 2000 to 3000 & keeps on bouncing...

Asked by Oct 12, 2009 at 06:58 PM about the 2000 Mazda 626 LX V6

I dont know, I started from my office to home, when i started my car, rpm was 3000, then it came down to 1500, then its keeps bouncing between 2k to 3k. Then I thought might be cold problem. So I let the engine run for some time. But no effect it is some problem. I don't know Wat is it. I kept my car at office and drove back with my friend. Please suggest me any solution...

10

check the intake tube. they often break and crack and cause a vacuum leak.

It could be that there is a vacuum leak. Listen closely to the engine under the hood. If there is a hissing sound it, its a good indicator of a vacuum leak. fixing it is not a big job, if u do it yourself!

5

I have a 1991 Mazda 626 LX. My car did this same thing. I had my throttle positioning sensor (TPS) replaced which helped a little bit. My mechanic took off the idle air control (iac) and cleaned it w/ carb spray. Put it back on the car, adjusted the idle for it & the TPS. He adjusted the IAC idle down between 700-750. This really seemed to fix the problem. Now it doesn't bounce around anymore. My car isn't a turbo but it does start out in power mode when first started. The RPMs are around 2000, but come down to the 700 mark within 5-6 mins.