My 4 wheel drive switch light is blinking, but I can't turn it off with the the switch.

Asked by Jan 01, 2015 at 09:37 AM about the 2001 Mazda Tribute ES V6

I  had my fuel pump and my water pump replaced and noticed the 4 wheel light was
blinking when I got my car back.  Is that good or bad?

33,545

Most likely you will have to bring it to the dealer and have the codes read for the 4WD. Here's some info I found on it : FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEMS The four-wheel drive system consists of: 4WD switch located on the instrument panel center finish panel 4WD relay. Power take off unit mounted to the front transaxle. Driveshaft and universal joints. Rotary blade coupling (RBC) mounted to the front of the rear differential. FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEMS Principles of Operation The active, on-demand 4WD system utilizes data from other systems as inputs to the 4WD control module. The 4WD control module uses the inputs to determine the appropriate amount of current to send to the active torque coupling that delivers the desired torque to the rear wheels. Specific inputs to the 4WD control module are: throttle position and transaxle range from the powertrain control module (PCM), as well as brake system status from the anti- lock brake system (ABS), and wheel speed from all four wheels from the ABS. Some outputs of the 4WD control module are: solid-state clutch (pulse-width modulated signal) to the active torque coupling, 4WD indicator received by the instrument cluster, percent of torque transfer commanded signal to the PCM and torque request available signal to the ABS. Heat Protection Mode During very extreme off-road operation, the 4WD system has a heat protection system to protect the active torque coupling from damage. If the system detects an overheat condition, it enters a locked mode and turns on the 4WD indicator light in the instrument cluster. If the heat in the system continues to rise once in the locked mode, the 4WD control module disables the active torque coupling and causes the 4WD indicator light to flash continuously. 4WD Illuminates continuously when the 4WD system is locked into permanent four-wheel drive due to its heat protection mode. In the locked mode the vehicle resists turning and binds up when driven on dry pavement To exit the locked mode, stop the vehicle and allow it to cool. When the 4WD indicator turns off, normal 4WD system function is restored. 4WD - Blinks continuously when the 4WD system is disabled due to its heat protection mode. To exit the disabled mode, stop the vehicle and allow it to cool. When the indicator turns off, normal 4WD system function is restored. 4WD - Blinks 3, 6, 8 or 10 times every minute when the 4WD system requires service. Use a WDS or equivalent Tester to check for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). 4WD Messages in Message Center SERVICE 4WD - Displayed when the 4WD system requires service. Use a WDS or equivalent Tester to check for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). 4WD LOCKED TEMPORARILY - Displayed when the 4WD system is locked due to heat protection. In the locked mode the vehicle resists turning and will bind up when driven on dry pavement. To exit the locked mode, stop the vehicle and allow it to cool. 4WD DISABLED TEMPORARILY - Displayed when the 4WD system is disengaged due to heat protection. To exit the disabled mode, stop the vehicle and allow to it cool. 4WD AUTO RESTORED - Displayed when normal 4WD system function is restored after a heat protection system occurrence. Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/mazda/5xani-mazda-tribute- 4wd-light-indicates-inspection-89-500-miles.html#ixzz3Na8Eb0P9

30

I swutch 4x4 on, light is on, but still I have not power transfer to rer wheelz. What cause and procedure to check system ?