~~~~~~DO I need to replace the engine's computer after replacing the engine? ~~~~~~

20

Asked by May 23, 2011 at 12:37 AM about the 2001 Mazda Tribute DX V6 4WD

After replacing the engine from my 2001, 3.0L Tribute with an 2002, 3.0L Ford Taurus, pretty much the same engine, except that I had to do a few conversions by swapping a few parts. But after the installation was completed, the engine turns with lots of  of power but would not start. I checked everything to be sure nothing is left unplugged , but I can't seem to find anything wrong, I checked the coils and I got sparks, I also get black smoke coming out the muffler. I was wondering could it be because the computer may not correspond to the Ford Taurus engine and that I need to get one that matches with the new engine? Or if it's not a computer issue what else could it be? Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance!

That's normal for an initial start attempt. Keep trying. No need to change ecm.

20

Thanks for the reply Jeff, but it has already been 3 days since I've been trying to start the car, it just shows that it wants to start but nothing happens. What next should I do?

Try starting it with your foot o the gas (this will lean the mixture out) also check the idle air valve and make sure it is cleaned. did you use any parts cleaner in the engine prior to putting the intake manifolds etc on?

20

I did put my foot on the gas pedal, but I didn't want to do it too much so I would not flood the engine. In the morning I will check the idle air valve and will keep you posted. Thanks again Jeff.

95

yes you do. from prior experience you should replace the computer also.

265

check and make sure the newer engine meets emisssions standard to your mazda. also check for any codes.

10

I had the same thing happened to my Mazda 2000.They replaced my engine and they gave me a 1.5 and not the 1.6 that was really needed for my car..And of course right after they replaced my engine my car would shake horrible and then shut off..I put in reverse and then in drive and it would do the same thing..My brakes would not even signal to brake..I had to put my foot all the way down to the pedal!!Everyone is saying that they should have replaced my car with the same engine so the computer can easily identify with that engine..Is that true?

2002 Mazda tribute lx6 3.0 engine. I changed the tranny fluid. Now car turns the key everything has power but the car doesn't start or make a noise??? It ran great B4 I changed fluid. Everything is plugged in property.