can start my mazda protege 2001 after stopping for 1 hour

75

Asked by Mar 11, 2015 at 05:09 PM about the 2001 Mazda Protege DX

Hi:

I have a 2001 mazda protege. I start nicely the first time, no check engine light or stalling.
After I drove for less tham 5 mins and park to go shopping and then come back less than an hour and I am not able to start my car. It try to crank but not able to start car. If I waited for an hour or so after I can't start. It will start again without issue. I previously change the spark plug and ignition coil and spark plug booth. Check engine light  not on , so clue what is causing it. Any idea?

37,545

Replace you Engine Coolant Sensor. When these go bad, your car will start nice when it's cold. But as soon as the engine warms up, it will not start again. The reason is because the sensor is telling the computer that the engine is cold, even though it's hot. The computer will inject too much fuel and the car will not start because the engine is hot and the fuel mixture is too rich.

75

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will define try to change that to see if it help. Why there is no check engine code if there is issue with coolant sensor?

37,545

I can't even be 100% sure that it's the coolant sensor. If there is no check engine light, that is the first thing that comes to mind with a good cold start but a no start condition when engine is hot. It could also be the IAT or Intake Air Temp Sensor. It also regulates fuel/air mixture ratios. When you said the car will not start, would the engine crank over but not fire, or you just turn the key and there was just nothing? You never really specified. I thought it was cranking over. It it wasn't at all, you may just have a bad starter. Which was it?

75

It will crank over and will not start. If I waited more than and hour or so it will start like normal. Could it be the crank shafts sensor too?

37,545

That can also cause a no start condition but not sure if it is affected by the temperature of the car. I would start replacing by price. The coolant temp sensor is usually around $20. Same for the Intake Air Temp Sensor. I would think the Crank sensor would be more. SInce you have no CEL everything is just a shot in the dark.

75

Total agreed. Better than sending to mechanic which cost me and arm and a leg. I will report back once I change the water coolant sensor first. Thanks again for your advise! Great site. I will recommend to friends.

75

One question, I see there are two type of sensor: Coolant temperature sensor and inter motor engine coolant temperature sensor, what is the difference? Sold by AAP.

37,545

I think they are the same. Just make sure you check the plug shape. Some are round some are square. From what I can tell by looking at them, is the inter motor all appear to have the round electrical plug.

75

Ok. THANKS! I will report back after I changing and testing it. Need a week to completely test it.

75

FYI. I replaced the engine coolant sensor and so far I did not encounter a can't start problem after an hour or so. I am still not 100% convince that the problem is fixed. I will be convince if after 6 months , that there is no issue starting. I will repot back in 6 months or sooner if problem occur. Thanks!

37,545

Cool deal! Let's hope that fixes it!

Hi, I have the exact same problem with my Mazda 2001 Etude. Was your problem fixed after you replace the coolant sensor?