A quick question on Overdrive (O/D) use

5

Asked by Jul 21, 2009 at 06:12 PM about the 2001 Mazda 626 LX V6

So, I bought my 626 a few years ago. Until recently, I was unfamiliar with the O/D option on the gear shift. I've apparently been driving the car for the past 2 years with the o/d on.

What are the benefits of driving with it off? I notice that with O/D off, my RPMs hit 4.25K to go about 75 MPH, and with O/D on, my RPMs are at 3.1K. So, obviously, the engine isn't working as hard, as far as my knowledge of RPMs go.I could be wrong, I'm no car genius.

So, what are the pros and cons of having the O/D on and off?

85

O/D is a way to save gas...when o/d is off the transmission drops down a gear to make the car accelerate quicker, but makes the engine work harder and use more gas, my opinion is to never turn off o/d. Trust me, i had a 98 626 myself lol

5

Ok, thanks for the info =) I've not had any issues with driving with O/D on, so I'll keep at it.

15

OK, so I have a Tribute and have been driving it with Overdrive on for about the same time. In your opinion, can I leave it at that or will it eventually cause problems? Cheers guys :)

805

^same as that Jeremy said.