ck eng light is on starts blinking when i give it more gas & starts to chug

10

Asked by Jan 01, 2013 at 05:29 PM about the 2002 Mazda Protege LX

80,375

Stop driving it!! The check engine light is flashing to warn you that a misfire condition is going on and you are damaging your catalytic converter!! Scan the computer to see what trouble codes you've got. I'm certain one will be P0300. This is the code for random/multi-cylinder misfire. If you have other codes too, address them first, as this may be the cause of your trouble. HTH. -Jim

70

I used to own a 2001 mazda Protege DX with same problem which I replaced the oxygen sensor. Can that also cause this problem?

455

Get a read on the Check Engine Light. Code P0300 may be what pops up. Depending on how severe your case me be it may be a number of things but its best to start with the simplest fix: Unfortunately Mazda Protege are notorious for Ignition coils (aka coil packs) going bad. In my case it was on and off sometimes it ran smooth sometimes it "chugged" idling rough, and seems just a tad bit better when you accelerate. But don't dive at all if you don't have to as you don't want to make anything worse. So the coil packs on this care are very easy to replace:Here is the video I used to help with this. Only one was bad, but I just replaced both (come in pairs for this car - one coil pack serves 2 cylinders)The car runs like new after replacing. You may also want to replace spark plugs while you are at this... may be the next thing if your coils are not bad. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b_AGBtDdGE

My mazda protege 2.0l turbo pulls fast but when it reaches 60-65 it starts to hesitate and lagging. Can it be the turbo going bad? The wastegate? Or the fuel not goin through enough? Please help!