Mazda mpv 02, temperature gage is rising to the top, overflow bottle is filling to the top. Please advise. thanks

Asked by Oct 12, 2014 at 09:00 AM about the 2002 Mazda MPV LX

Suddenly I saw the temperature gage rising to the top. When I switched off the gage
immeiately came down. I looked under the hood and the overflow bottle was full. When
the water went low I drove the van again, in about 1 minute the same thing happened
again. This kept on repeating.  Please advise

Replace the thermostat and the radiator cap to start.

Start by buying a new radiator cap, it's an inexpensive attempt at a fix. Make sure radiator is full to very top, cold, (never pop a hot cap) see what happens. The overflow should be about 1/4 full cold, use pre-mix coolant, (but that's the expensive way, you are paying $7 a gallon for water) or non-diluted coolant/antifreeze and distilled water 50/50 (has no minerals) Have your OBD codes code will pinpoint thermostat, but that is my next guess. Write down the codes and come back, many parts stores will scan it for you free

Good morning/evening Mark..

Your answer is better than my long-winded one that says the same thing

Good evening there F.N. Sometimes you have to say that same thing twice. Your answer is much more detailed.