Car having jerking problem

Asked by Feb 17, 2017 at 11:29 PM about the 2002 Mazda 626 LX V6

I have a problem with my 2002
Mazda. When starting to move
from a stop, the car jerks forward
at the beginning and then again at
25 mph. At 25 mph., The RPM
goes almost up to 3. If I let off the
gas it will go down and adjust to a
proper RPM at I think around 1 1/2
RPM's. It has been doing this for
months and I don't know what the
problem is. Does anyone know
what this might be?

36,885

Might be a torque converter lock up clutch, or an input speed sensor in the tranny. A computer diagnostic at a tranny shop can pinpoint the problem.

Ken F: Thank you so much. I don't know if I can afford to get this checked or fixed. Sounds like the cost is going to be high. I don't know much about cars and I am worried about this but I am on a limited income. Hopefully this problem will not turn into a bigger problem. Your help and expertise is greatly appreciated. God Bless you for your input. Kim

36,885

A diagnostic fee is around $100. If it's the sensor the cost will be nominal, it does mean pulling the transmission pan, and if the tranny hasn't been serviced in a while, may want to change fluid and filter at the same time, so cost will be somewhere in the 175+ range, but if it's the torque converter clutch, it can run a lot higher, 500-1,000, it's like 8 hours of labor involved which is why it's so much, the cost of the parts is fairly low, under 200.

Thanks Ken. I appreciate your information. God Bless. Kim

36,885

Keep in mind I don't know if this is actually what is wrong with your car, there's a lot of speculation involved answering a question like this. If the car is a keeper, find a reputable transmission shop and have them do the diagnostic on it, they may put that fee towards repairs. If it's not a keeper, plan now on selling it as a "mechanic's special" while it's still driveable.

36,885

Thank you, and good luck