door locks

60

Asked by Jun 10, 2011 at 05:00 PM about the 1998 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Eddie Bauer AWD SUV

I can lock all doors with drivers switch,but cannot unlock all doors,is this normal? Hatch works both ways,any ideas Thanks Billy

are you pressing the unlock button twice on the remote?

switch may be bad.

60

Not using remote.Maybe I should clarify that while sitting in drivers seat I press unlock and all atuators work fine.When I press lock,no response.Changed door lock switck,still not working.

60

I replaced switch and replaced relay switches.

are you sure you got the connections right.also if you replaced the driver side switch,another one could be bad,i would replace them all.are inexpensive and easy to swap out.

50

Between the door and frame driver side you will see a rubber boot going to a large cannon plug with a 10mm bolt on top. There may be a tie wrap around the rubber boot where it attaches to the plug. Back out the 10mm bolt to remove the cannon plug (female) from the door. It's a captive bolt which won't come out completely, you'll see the plug moving away from the male side. Pull it loose when it stops dropping down. Remove the tie wrap and peel back the rubber boot. You may see a broken wire which will need to be resoldered with shrink tubing. There's not much room to work depending on where it's broken and little to no slack to be gained, so you may have to add a section just to have something to work with. 18 ga I believe. Mine was a pink wire with green or light green trace. All other doors would not unlock from driver side master switch, but would lock. Close anyway. Mine was completely broken in two so it was easy to spot.

I have the same thing going on but the other way around it unlocks but does not Lock doors, my back hatch works both ways as well??