I have a 2004 Mazda MTV minivan with 120,000miles oil light comes on when I'm at a stop and when I accelerate it goes off. Had an oil change two months ago

Asked by Feb 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM about the 2004 Mazda MPV LX

I have a 2004 Mazda MTV minivan with  120,000miles on it .I'm having problems with
this check oil light comes on when I'm at a stop and when I accelerate it goes off. Had an
oil change two months ago with 5W-30 synthetic oil ,normally we put 5W 20 synthetic oil
could that be a problem? Car is running good the only problem is that the oil light coming
on and off . Is it okay to drive with this light problem. It has oil . And is it bad to mix oil
5W-30 with 5W 20? . Thank you for your help.

1,145

Lost of thing may cause that to happen, but none of them are good. It might be the oil wasn't changed regularly at some time in its life and there's quite a bit of sludge built up in the pan. It could also be that oil is not draining down into the pan as fast as it should. Again, usually a sludge problem. The relief valve spring in the oil pump may be weak or clogged. Either way, it's time to pull the pan before you blow the engine up. And while you're at it, I'd replace the pump as a precautionary measure anyway.

19,415

Try changing the oil again and add a qt of lucas oil treatment and go back to the 5w-20. If this doesn't work the screen on the oil pump is probably plugged up and you need a pump and screen.

Thank you so much !!I will do your suggestions!!

Did you find out what happen?