Why does my car not accelerate normally and sound like it's about to die on me?

Asked by Sep 02, 2014 at 07:15 PM about the 2004 Mazda MAZDA6 4 Dr s Sedan

I have 2004 Mazda 6 - 4 cylinder, when I first turn on the car, it sounds like its about to run out of gas or die out. They temp gauge or the rmp dont really make any movement that would cause worry. When I back out of the drive way I am almost sure it will dies on me but it doesnt. When I hit the gas pedal it does not a accelerate to a normal speed. It will gain speed but very very slowly, and feels horrible. I notice it mainly does it more in the morning or when the car has been turned off for a long period of time. It does it less while on the highway. When I have started the car with the Air conditioning on it will die on me right there or when I reverse and sometimes at a stop light. The car does not turn off, but I do put in park and turn it off then restart it, it does restart. In example of not accelerating speed im trying to reach is 20mph but it seems to only go about half that. This has been going on for about two months, I am single parent household so I have been putting it off because I am scared of the finacial burden it will add to my plate. But lately its not hesitating so much to pick up speed but its now more of a consistant puttering noise under the hood and in the back of car from the "tail pipe". The battery is about a month old and alternator was replaced 6mos ago. I am trying to keep up with this car. About two months before this issue occured I had wheel barrings replaced, brakes worked on, oil change, some kind of synthetic run thru, then another oil change which was about two weeks before I really noticed the problem. I dont know if its related to any of those repairs but I thought I'd give as much detail and back story as I could. Can anyone assist me? Please and thank you?

247,275

Hard to say. Is the Check Engine light on? You might have a misfire or a vacuum leak. I would need to hear and inspect it. Time to have someone look at it before your stranded.

Tom, I was told that my check engine light was on by that person checking with a little hand held computer plugged into my car, it wasnt showing for me because the light was out on the check engine light. Yes I am trying to find the finacial means to get it looked at. Thank you for your quick response.

20

Hello, I have the same thing with my mazda 6 2003, any word on what you needed done and cost? Thanks

235

I think you may have several issues that need to be addressed. Some may be as simple as a throttle body being dirty. Removing and cleaning that could provide relief. One thing to keep in mind is that mazda6 has a "safety" mode that it enters into when its having issues as to not mess up the engine or jump timing. You may go down the road and at full throttle it may not even accelerate at all. You really need someone to check it out and give you some valid solutions.

10

I have a 2008 Mazda 6. I have the same problem but my fuel pump went out. I had it replaced too. Now my engine light is on. Its had been on for awhile but my financial crisis. Do I need to take it a Mazda dealership to look at it?