2004 Mazda 6 AT & Engine Light??

Asked by Oct 17, 2014 at 12:30 AM about the 2004 Mazda MAZDA6 4 Dr i Hatchback

Hi there!

I have an Auto 2004 Mazda 6 and recently the engine light came on whilst I was taking off from a set of lights (the car was cold). The car shuddered/jumped, engine light came on, but then continued to drive as normal - changing gears up and down fine. I pulled over, stopped the car and switched it off, when I switched it on again (now the car is warm) the light had disappeared. A few days later I was driving and the same thing happened (the car was cold) this time the yellow AT light (Auto Transmission) also came on with the engine light, this locked the car in 3rd gear and would not change up into 4th gear. I tried flicking it into manual but every time I do that the gear display disappears and I’m not too sure what gear I’m in and can’t feel the car changing gears? When I pulled to a stop the car shuddered/jumped every time that it changed down gear. Once I had stopped the AT light went off, leaving only the engine light on, when I took off the car ran as normal. I stopped again turned off and on again – no lights (car is warm again)… This now happened almost every time I turn on my car and take off and it’s still cold (not too sure if that has anything to do with it). I have taken it to a mechanic who reset the sensors/checked it all out – said he couldn’t see anything wrong. This happened again as I drove it out of the shop. Does anyone know what it could be???

Call a priest. Your car is possessed. But first disconnect the battery for about a half hour. That will reset the computers hopefully it will be the answer. But don't count on it. Should it happen again get it to the mechanic whilst the CEL light is on.

Ha thanks for that! Have taken pictures of the lights and given it to the mechanic. Honestly hoping its just the sensor that has gone and needs to be replaced! Will try disconnecting the battery. Thanks :)

You can't send a picture of the light to the mechanic, you have to bring it in to him/her so they can hook up a scan tool and read the info off of your cars computer.

Almost sounds like the torque converter isn't locking up. That's not a good thing. Have you check to see if the transmission fluid is low? You have to check it while the engine is running. It should be red like cherry kool-aid not brown and smells burnt. If its low add some. If its brown and burnt(let's hope not) you might need a transmission flush(I highly recommend BG brand).

Dani Anspach

The same exact thing is happening to my 2004 Mazda 6. I did bring it in and have the transmission fluid flushed and changed and the problem continued to happen. My mechanic said there is nothing that he can find that seems to be the problem. Would love to hear if you found out what the issue was.

Any update on this, Im having the same issue.

It turned out that the auto transmission sensor needed to be replaced. After that car was great, even ran better than before!

Thank you so much for your answer, I will give that a try. Thanks again you saved me.

How much did u have to put out to get that sensor replaced I am having the same issue going from 4th to 5only after car has been driven for a Lil while first I have a 07 Mazda 6

hi i have a 2007 mazda6 2.3 auto cant get any gears at light is on

When referring to the auto transmission sensor; to address the AT failure, do you mean the speed control sensor? or the Transmission range sensor? (e.g. I've changed both but when cold I still have the problem described in your entry)

this is the same problem but its not the speed sencer it is the shift solenoids in transmision