ignition key, need replacement

Asked by Apr 12, 2015 at 12:37 PM about the 2005 Mazda Tribute i

I've lost the original (dealership) mazda ignition key.  I only had one--so I had a second
key made at Home Depot--an that works fine.  However, I'm now down to one key and
would really like to have a backup.  The price HomeDepot charged was over $70 and I
was wondering if it is possible to purchase--one-line-a smart key (obviously it would
need to be cut) to use as a second key.  I don't need the 3-button fob--I have that.  I
need a smart key.  All the websites I've found (so far) state that you need TWO
working keys in order to have one of these on-line, after-market keys cut by a
locksmith (or HomeDepot again, I guess)--any ideas?  Thanks

68,675

I'd think that since your Home Depot key works fine you should be ok. You were able to program that key to the car without 2 others. So I'd think that you can use the same procedure for the spare that you plan to get. I understand what you mean by some vehicles needing 2 keys that already work for the programing procedure. My '08 Grand Marquis is like that. Once you get the second smart key blank Home Depot should be able to cut it for you. That's exactly what I did when I got the spare transponder key for my '00 Grand Prix. HTH. -Jim