Cost of repair

Asked by Jul 01, 2013 at 09:40 PM about the 1997 Lincoln Continental FWD

My 97 continental blows only hot air and I was just told that the AC compressor needs to be replaced.  They said the labor is about 10-12 hours and total cost between $1,000 and $1,200.  Can this be right?  If I decide to sell it privately, how much could I ask in this condition.  This senior guy thanks you very much for taking time with this question.

27,595

If the repair that they're quoting you includes the replacement of the Evaporator core, yes, the repair could run that high. I have no idea of what the car is worth only that you should sell it ASAP. It's just going to get more expensive to keep.

78,075

You're probably receiving a quote to replace the compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube. Flush the refrigeration system, "pull down" the refrigeration system (suck out all the old refrigerant), leak test the refrigeration system, then recharge the refrigeration system with R134a refrigerant and refrigerant oil. In most cases, like the compressors we sell at NAPA this all must be done and documented so the warranty on the new compressor is not voided. HTH. -Jim

27,595

Like I said - don't bother - the car's a money pit.