98 Lincoln Continental - battery drained - error code ALT or Fuse problem???

10

Asked by Jul 08, 2013 at 10:29 PM about the 1998 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr STD Sedan

PROBLEM:  98 Lincoln Continental has a drained battery and Autozone says when they
tested the car it is "inconclusive" but could be an Alternator or Fuse problem.
  We removed the negative battery cable after starting the car with a different battery and
the car ran fine... so I don't think its the Alternator.   Anybody have any suggestions or
ideas?   Thanks!

94,785

If you disconnected the battery cable with the car running you may have caused a problem that you didn't have in the beginning, any vehicle with a computer system is very sensitive about voltage surges, it can fry every electronic system in you vehicle, I had a customer that did that to his Crown Victoria and spent over a grand to get it running again just because he disconnected the battery cable with the engine running. With that being said, the first thing to test is for draws on the system, roll a window down, key off, engine off, disconnect the negative battery cable and put a test light between the terminal end and the battery post, if the light glows brightly then you have a system draw, the first thing I would disconnect is the alternator and see if the light goes out, if it does then you found your problem, if it doesn't then you will have to eliminate one circuit at a time via the fuses to find your trouble. Hope this gave you some ideas.

94,785

Best Answer
10

It was the Altenator. Thank you for your response...