1999 Lincoln Continental won't start without a jump

Asked by Apr 26, 2016 at 11:43 AM about the 1999 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr STD Sedan

It clicks when I try to start it....the battery is good
alternator is good but all of a sudden headlights
will flash and then stop working then stereo won't
work then I'll shut it off and it won't start again
without a jump....and it will say on the dash "check
charging system"

69,855

If everything is good like you say, then there is a bad connection somewhere. Start by cleaning the battery cables on both ends of the cables.

Ya we cleaned the battery cables real good and it ran perfectly fine for a few days. All of a sudden all the dashlights start to flicker headlights flash heater goes out stereo goes out....the car dies and won't start again without a jump. Also the check charging system light will come on for a minute. Both times this happens its been pouring rain outside???

Any answers????

69,855

Sorry I had to eat lunch. This sounds like there is a bad battery cable. Do you notice anywhere where the cable is pealed back?

69,855

You have a bad ground, cable or wire that is not making a good connection.

Yes its peeled back a little bit up by were it connects to the battery.... There is no tape just bare wire at that point

69,855

Found one bad wire. Pos. or Neg? Never the less a bad wire. Or alternator, BUT you say that is good.

Ya they tested the alternator and it was just replaced and is fine and both neg and pos is showing wire

69,855

Wires may not be allowing enough juice to run threw, it is a bad circuit. Should replace them.