check transmission error and gas smell

20

Asked by Feb 11, 2013 at 06:53 PM about the 1999 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr STD Sedan

When driving over 65 mph for over 40 miles, check transmission error.  After error, if you have to stop,
the car shifts hard from 1st to 2nd.  Doesn't happen all the time.  Also bad gas smell.  Can't roll the
windows down at all.

Check your transmission fluid. This must be done with the engine running because your torque converter has a gallon of fluid in it too- Adjust the level to where it reads correctly, as you know about the co-efficient of expansion, do it when the tranny is warm, you can get an accurate take on it....also it might smell burnt if you've been a naughty boy with it- Bad gas smell may be coming from your underside, but I'd check the evaporative fuel containment system if not dripping gas somewhere- The windows are probably set to 'lock' and you didn't see the control.

on good authority, the transmission cooler seems obstructed or a kink in the coolant line. Did you run over something? read the codes to find this out. tired of guessing.

20

No, did not run over anything. The gas smell does appear to be coming from underneath. I have had the entire exhaust check and vacuum lines. They say there is no issues there. The windows not rolling down - I meant to say the gas smell is so bad, I can't roll the windows down because the smell is sickening. How do I check the transmission cooler? The transmission fluid is fine and does not smell burnt.

your transmission cooler is at the front underneath or a part of your radiator. I was making a joke as one might eat some beans and underneath...ha.ha.ha. How can you be so sure that there isn't a vacuum leak? besides what are we lookin for trouble...well gas smell is serious business and you could catch fire and be very sad- use your shnooker to find the source of the smell. do get nerveous with high pressure gasoline, and your auto maker does too installing all kindza safeties that will shut you down if it thinks trouble is abrew- you have a nose and some eyes. FIND THAT LEAK! or stop drivin it in the name of safety. you can easily kink one of the coolant lines, but is easlily repaired with a pair of breeze clamps-

20

I had a mechanic check it. He said not vacuum line leaks. Actually the gas smell has been happening for about a year and have had that checked by a mechanic. No problems he says. The gas smell is more prevalent in the winter.

you're not helping. Where? not when. If it's a steel line, just comin' loose, we should tighten it. If it's a crack, replace it. Don't let this happen, fix this one. use your nose, and a cardboard roll tube, you are going to have to find this leak!

"put down the windows" not roll. Do we dial our phones? you haven't admitted to the 'lock windows' button being activated-or-not. sure there is a fuse, but why did the fuse blow, did little timmy get his head jammed in there? Your tranny aint coolin' right? that's what the report said (I'm guessin') so make sure the tranny cooler ain't blocked and has airflow and flow thru the lines (you can't see)...then reset the CEL, so we can start all over.

20,235

bob thats just too much for this poor guy to do, whadaya think he is ? a tried and proven oldtimer like yourself ? try the easy way first, WINDOW ok,established,GAS SMELL, extend your tailpipe, your drawing rich fumes from tail,open window creates suction, you may have hole in trunk floor,also,TRANS, as bob says may be too hot from dirt clog, try a trans flush agent, run 50 100 miles drain refill fresh

20

Thanks for all your help. Auto Zone ran the codes. Changed trans fluid and filter per their instructions. Husband will drive tomorrow to see if issue is fixed. I really appreciate all your input. Thanks again.

drat. what about the gas smell. hopefully hubby isn't a careless smoker! ya gotta find this leak. please, the rest of the world agrees. Stop gas leaks...before they get out of control.

10

My 99 continental had an on and off gas smell, which turned to always, but the problem always evaded me my friend an mechanic. Finally I decided to replace the gas tank and that was not the problem. After searching again and failing to find it I dropped the new gas tank and with the tank on the ground started the car. turned out that the fuel sending unit had a microscopic crack. so small that fuel never dripped to the ground, but enough to cause a horrible smell. Changed the sending unit and the problem/smell has never returned.

I own a 2002 lincoln continental and my transmission error happens just when the car is cold then goes away, but does shift hard from 2nd to 3rd during the is period. What did they tell you about the error message. Don't wanna but a new transmission in if I don't have to.

I have a 1999 Continental and have found the gas smell coming from the car was caused by a faulty ignition coil. The 8 cylinder has 8 separate coils for each cylinder and if one fails the gas is not burned. I have replaces 3 coils in 5 years which solved the problem.