My lincoln ls won't start and is giving the code for bad key. How can I fix this?

Asked by Feb 17, 2015 at 04:50 PM about the 2000 Lincoln LS V8

My lincoln ls won't start. It is giving the code for bad key. I only have one key and this
is the key that I have always used. A while back it started that the only way the car
would start is if I turned the key to the on position and left it there for a couple of
minutes before trying to start it. Now it won't start at all. I had it in the shop for over 2
months and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with. Battery, fuel pumps etc.
have all been tested and are working correctly.

42,195

Car needs to go to a Lincoln dealership for diagnosis. It is possible that either the key is bad or the ignition switch or the PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) receiver.