where is the fill plug for the tranny

25

Asked by Apr 30, 2008 at 02:22 AM about the 2000 Lincoln LS V8

42,095

Should be a dipstick to the pass. side rear of the engine compartment.

115

No, it isnt. Its on top of the trans just like a normal manual trans. There is no dipstick or tube

205

fill plug is actually under the pan. (same place as drain plug) the center of that plug is where you fill the fluid. but the catch is the fluid has to be between 80F and 100F in temperature. and you add until a steady stream begins... kinda complicated and a pain in the butt.( I work for ford)

now i know why i work on my own cars.under hood passenger side back of engine to leftwill be a red pull stick.or is this car a front wheel drive if soright of engine will see it up close to front of tranny.i may be wrong but i know this car was a front wheel drive,but not sure of year.anyway the dip stick tube is in one of the 2 places on top.the above person is full of himself????

255

well above user works for ford so he might have a good idea. wether or not he's full of himself i can't tell. the lincoln ls is rear wheel drive for all years. i wonder why no one has asked if this lincoln is automatic or manual, the ls offers both transmissions with the v6.

155

I own a 2000 Lincoln LS, and work as a mechanic. I bought this car with a bad transmission. Installed a new transmission from FORD. The Lincoln LS DOES NOT have a dipstick to check fluid level. DOES NOT HAVE A DIPSTICK. It is much easier to have the fluid level checked by the FORD/Lincoln dealership. Certified techs do a better job than some highschool kid at a 5 minute lube shop.

7,975

Sorry Cyril this isn't directed at you and I'm sure you're a competent mechanic, it's just a bit of a rant that's been brewing due to personal experiences and the constant "...I should know I'm a [Insert Maker Here] certified tech..." ------Begin Rant------ I don't get why people think that tech's working at dealers are highly trained individuals... Hell only two ford dealers I've been to for one reason or another had the dumbest excuses for tech's I've ever seen...Shouldn't say which ones without physical evidence and all I have is my own observations, besides I like to think I caught them both on 'off' days. 1- Hired first semester students at a local tech school for 'simple' procedures (because brakes are the kind of thing you want to trust to someone with little/no experience)... Wouldn't be a problem if they kept them supervised with the more knowledgeable staff. But they kept the sides of the garage separated by tool chests... While I was there I watched one car leave with only 3/4 brakes replaced and saw two car started without oil filters... (My friend worked at this one which is why I was there... he made a point that the guys he worked with were worse than the guys he worked with at the Jiffylube he use to work at during high school) 2- I had the pleasure of letting them do a state inspection on my vehicle... I have to admit it was funny since I had nothing to do at the time, and watching 3 guys attempt the inspection for 2 hours... They actually had to have me show them how to take the security locknuts off the wheels. Before you ask, yes I gave the the socket they just couldn't get it to fit... Turning it never occurred to them...any of them... for over half an hour before they got me. Then they tried checking the rear left brake with the parking brake on and tried to tell me it was seized up. I haven't had any other experience with dealers, with the exception of parts departments, as I try to avoid 'em at all costs, but judging from responses by GM Toyota and Honda techs on this site and others the skill level seems to be about on par across the field.... Dealer tech's just tend to think they are infinitely more skilled that quick shop and local mechanics. ------End Rant----- Granted I'm not saying a Jiffylube is any better, but it isn't worse by any means... It's why a GOOD mechanic is hard to find...they can be at the dealer, the little shop across town, or occasionally at your local quick lube... Not very likely on the last one though. It depends on how a given shop is run not the name on the door.

20

No dipstick

30

You're a dipstick

60

I know this post is old but someone may be asking this question and want the CORRECT answer, as stated by the Ford tech. There is NO dipstick. There is a bleeder nut in bottom of trans. W car running and level pump fluid in remove tube used to pump it in n let drain til it trickled, then it's full. Btw, these cars are NOT average or normal so YES a Ford tech would know the correct answer.

60

I know this post is old but someone may be asking this question and want the CORRECT answer, as stated by the Ford tech. There is NO dipstick. There is a bleeder nut in bottom of trans. W car running and level pump fluid in remove tube used to pump it in n let drain til it trickled, then it's full. Btw, these cars are NOT average or normal so YES a Ford tech would know the correct answer. I should know, I'm the proud owner of one of these P.O.S. cars. You better be patient, handy, knowledgeable, and have hands the size of a 3 year old if you plan on working on it. But when they're running right it's a really nice car.

I would like the easy dipstick fill-tube option for my LS that apparently Papa and Jordon got special ordered on theirs. I wonder if that is still available as an add-on? ;-)