2001 Lincoln LS hydraulic fan not coming on

65

Asked by Mar 31, 2015 at 07:45 PM about the 2001 Lincoln LS V8

I recently replaced the hydraulic fan assembly (motor @ $859.69), it ran for an hour
then it stopped running.  The check engine light came on, and had an autozone
diagnostic which returned codes P1299L and P1399.  The day that the fan motor was
replaced, I witnessed a red fluid emitting from one of the hoses.  That fluid was not
replaced at the time of repair. I drove it to the autozone for antifreeze. And one of the
attendants put antifreeze in the Hydraulic Fan reservoir.  What dangers could that have
caused.  I now have a leak of antifreeze coming from somewhere.  I need to know
where to look.

What you need to look at is the manager of the Auto-Zone. The hydraulic fan uses ATF, the red fluid you saw. Putting anti-freeze coolant in it will cause problems unknown to me but certainly bad

65

So can it be drained and flushed? Will it cause the water pump to leak, or cause blockages, or make that $859.69 fan stop working?

I don't know what damage it will cause, this is a first for me. But to state the obvious, not good. Very not good. can't the guys at Auto-Zone read? It says right on the cap "USE ATF" is a a hydraulic pump just like power steering. If you have not driven the car much, you might get away with flushing it out, but it ALL must be removed. Every last drop. There is the problem. and make sure you get IN WRITING from somebody in authority at AutoZone they will be responsible for the bill...what ever the cost. You might have to pay the bill at a shop, its not like a shop will accept a 'voucher' but get in contact with the manager and Corporate office of Auto-Zone. Tell them what happened, If you don't get cooperation, or a flat denial of liability, tell them you will see them in court. It's probably best to put it that way, as opposed to a threat of lawsuit. But same meaning come across, people just don't like to be threatened and polite will get you a lot better results. Get it that says they accept liability for immediate repair and negotiate a time frame for how long after if it fails. Ask for 2 years, settle for one year. The chemicals in the coolant have probably ate a seal somewhere. Hopefully you know the guy's name that put it in there...and now that I think of it demand a rental car while yours is in shop. maybe even the mechanic will say flushing won't do it, it needs to be replaced. Even better, and get that in writing. I wish you the best Victoriah, let us know what happens please. I am truly interested. AutoZone stores are not franchised, all company owned, HQ 123 S Front St, Memphis, TN 38103 Phone:(901) 495-6500

65

Thank you so much.