I have a 2001 Lincoln LS with a starting problem. The first start in the morning is perfect. It hardly turns over before it starts. If I start it again within a short period of time, again it starts perfectly. I could start it every 5 minutes all day long. But if I stop for breakfast, say and try to start it an hour later, I have to crank on it, maybe 3 times.It finally starts, but it acts like it's flooded. No trouble lights or messages. Any thoughts ?

Asked by Apr 16, 2014 at 03:57 PM about the 2001 Lincoln LS V8

1,865

So the first start, or a start after a delayed sitting period it cranks over slowly? How old is the battery in the car?

Best Answer Mark helpful

No, it turns over fine. It just doesn't start immediately, like it should - and like it does first thing in the morning. The battery is new.

1,865

It could be a fuel issue, try this next time on a cold start, turn the key on but don't turn it over, turn it off, do this 2-4 times as this will "prime" the fuel system by turning the fuel pump on and off several times. After doing this try to start it, if it starts you have a fuel pump that may be about to fail, plugged fuel filter, or something within the fuel system.

Sounds plausible. I tend to agree that it's fuel-related. I'll try that and get back. Thanks.