I have a 2001 Lincoln LS with a starting problem. The first start in the morning is perfect. It hardly turns over before it starts. If I start it again within a short period of time, again it starts perfectly. I could start it every 5 minutes all day long. But if I stop for breakfast, say and try to start it an hour later, I have to crank on it, maybe 3 times.It finally starts, but it acts like it's flooded. No trouble lights or messages. Any thoughts ?

Asked by Apr 16, 2014 at 03:57 PM about the 2001 Lincoln LS V8

So the first start, or a start after a delayed sitting period it cranks over slowly? How old is the battery in the car?

Best Answer

No, it turns over fine. It just doesn't start immediately, like it should - and like it does first thing in the morning. The battery is new.

It could be a fuel issue, try this next time on a cold start, turn the key on but don't turn it over, turn it off, do this 2-4 times as this will "prime" the fuel system by turning the fuel pump on and off several times. After doing this try to start it, if it starts you have a fuel pump that may be about to fail, plugged fuel filter, or something within the fuel system.

Sounds plausible. I tend to agree that it's fuel-related. I'll try that and get back. Thanks.