Engine starts but no lights on dash

Asked by Apr 05, 2013 at 09:11 AM about the 2001 Lincoln LS V8

I went to start my car this morning & when it started the lights on my dash didn't come on & the radio either. Yet
when I turn the key to shut the car off everything lit up like it was supposed to. What could be causing this?

Bad ground. 2001 battery is kaput. Get a new battery and inspect the ground connection what goes to the chassis/frame and to the engine, inspect for corrosion and clean with a wirebrush. The positive side with the extra lug should be cleaned free of corrosion. Once you get a new battery might think about new battery clamping lugs too-

Did you turn your headlights on or off? Check the dimmer adjustment. When the head lights are not on the dash will be lit. At all times. But with headlights on, you might have accidentally dimmed them to out.

102,755

The car could have a battery saver function. It shuts the electrical systems down when it detects a drain on the battery with the engine off.

I wish somebody had come up with that years ago. My dumb a~~ has left lights on on more than one occasion over the years, drive in fog, in to clear and forget all about them

Oh it matters Judge. Surely. I wasn't even looking at the question had forgotten what the thread even was

oh, David-not even sure this Lincoln is equipped with the brain-drain saver feature, it's okay....the guy coulda but in but he's off eatin' pancakes or something...these are important subjects you chaps are discussing the thing is a what now? CCA unit or something?