I have a 2001 Lincoln LS and it keeps running hot. I've replaced the thermostat and the water pump. But it still keeps running hot. What do you think it could be?

Asked by Aug 22, 2015 at 02:04 PM about the 2001 Lincoln LS V6

Test

2003 Lincoln Ls and others overheating. Cracks, old parts and things can be seen/found but understanding the system ...the main cause I found is the thermostat is positioned on the "cold" side of radiator. Trying to mix hot/cold inside thermo housing. (engineering mistake) Thermo says " wtf?" Hot out of engine will blow hose because thermo is too far away and still cool/closed. Easy fix. Tap out the copper element from thermo, drill open hole bigger is possible. This will give positive cool flow thru radiator to engine. No thermostat. But ...Do Not Clamp the large spring into place but use the spring loose with metal cap to permanent seal the "hot" tube that is running inside thru the thermo housing. The spring will hold it tight when you mount the thermo housing cap. ALSO use a 1/4 bolt to seal-off the small hole inside the metal thermo cap. Now you have positive "hot" flow from hot engine to radiator, not returning or bypassing hot back to engine. E-mail for more detail or if you want to add thermostat to "hot" side of engine....like it should be...but will work fine with out it. No more mystery!

Tpreis4@socal.rr.com Overheating problems made simple. Lincoln LS. Some vehicles were designed with the thermostat on "cold" side of engine...this is the initial problem that will cause periodic overheating, cracked plastic parts, hoses, etc,. T-Stat should be placed directly from engine hot manifold outlet water to radiator and be in constant flow of "hot" water. The current T-Stat design and location allows hot water to mix with cold when thermostat is opening and cause it to close again. Thermostat is on "cold" side of radiator return so it does not get accurate temp from engine and will blow the engine hot outlet hose. E-mail for details, photos and fix.