'98 ESCORT ZX2 COOLING FAN NOT WORKING

Asked by Apr 26, 2014 at 07:39 AM about the 1998 Ford Escort 2 Dr ZX2 Hot Coupe

RECENTLY PURCHASED CAR - cooling fan was not working , I disconnected wire from sensor in block to keep fan running all the time to avoid overheating. Replaced switch and fan still does not operate, I removed switch from block and with wire connected I heated tip of switch w/ cig lighter and fan came on, then cooled it w/ wet rag and turned off, I did this couple of times and seemed to work properly.I put switch back in block and temp on gage went a little over 1/2 way but fan did not come on.I am going to flush radiator and replace thermostat but concerned fan will still not work

20,585

you didn't give it time to trip,,. block rad air flow and watch gauge till fan on

22,425

there are 2 sensors, que no? is there not one in the radiator itself?

24,615

No. the PCM determines when to turn on the cooling fan via the ECT. It has to be nearly 3/4 of the way to hot. Does the fan come on when the AC is on? Ford recommends running the engine at 2500 - 3000 RPM for 3 minutes to thoroughly warm an engine. Since a vehicle rarely requires a cooling fan while in motion, the fan isn't designed to run constantly, is designed to pull a large quantity of air for a short period of time, and will cool the engine sufficiently once engaged.