high beams stuck

Asked by Sep 30, 2014 at 05:56 PM about the 2002 Lincoln LS V6

Hello,  I have a 2002 Lincoln LS V6.  A while back I clicked the high beams on and they
got stuck in the "on" position.  Multifunction switch won't switch back to low beams.  I had
to pull the fuses to the high beams.  Even with fuses pulled, the blue high beam indicator
stays on.  Low beams still work, but can't put in high beam fuses or they will come on too.
Is replacing the multifunction switch in the steering column the only solution?  Thanks!

12,160

You may get lucky. On a lot of cars the switch for changing from hi to lo is down on the steering column under the dash. There would be a linkage from the lever down to it. Has nothing to do with the multi function itself. Good luck

Thanks Mike. A little history... I bought the car used back in January. The used car dealer I bought it from has his own personal mechanic, a little old man. Well the clock spring was bad so they replaced that. Thing is the lights worked fine "before" the clock spring was replaced. They had to fix a few other problems so it was weeks before they delivered the car to me. It was then that the high beam problem occurred. My immediate thought was the mechanic messed something up when he replaced the clock spring and didn't bother checking to make sure everything worked. By then it was too late to take the car back (already took it back three times). Could something have been jarred lose inside the steering column? I'd hate to pay a small fortune just for a mechanic to reconnect a wire or something. Thanks!

12,160

Of course its possible that something was jarred loose, but I am still betting on that clicker switch . if you contort yourself, you can look under the dash at the column. the switch should be mounted there. it will have a small diameter metal rod connected to it that heads up the column to the lever. I had to replace one of these once, and it requires a little contortion and brail, but it wasn't too bad. Go to a local autoparts store and see if they can tell you the location of it. sometimes they have picture diagrams. If it seems like to much of a project for you, then you will know that you have to take it to someone. Hope this helps. good luck. Mike

Thanks Mike! I'll check under the dash for the switch and rod to see if something is broken, bent, etc. Hoping it's a cheap and easy fix. I'll keep you posted.