2002 Lincoln LS V6. Misfire on cylinder #3. 106000 miles.

Asked by Mar 17, 2014 at 05:36 AM about the 2002 Lincoln LS V6

Had the codes read at AutoZone. Sorry don't have the codes with me right now. Plugs
and coils have been replaced. At times it will run fine but only for short periods of time
and usually when it is cold. Other times when driving it will cut in and out with the
misfire. Had the Crank Sensor replaced a while back because it wouldn't start. Tech
mentioned he had problems with the connector wiring but thought it was fixed. Not sure
if that could have anything to do with it. Someone mentioned fuel injector, can that
behave intermittently? May need to just break down and pay the diagnostic fee to find
out. Any suggestions? Thank you.

is the misfire vary slight or does the whole engine cut out I have worked on cars for 30 years and never seen a injector fail intermittently and most people cant feel a single cylinder miss fire if when it does act up and it is on;ly missing one cylinder I would check all wiring to injectors from ECU if when it acts up and more than one cylinder is missing may have bad ECU.

Thank you for the quick response. When I said misfire I meant the engine begins to spit and sputter, runs rough and definite loss of power. You can tell you have lost one of the cylinders. The codes have been read twice and each time it was cylinder # 3 misfire. The check engine light flashes. I'm not real familiar how the ECU sensor works. Is there a wire for each cylinder coming from this sensor? My understanding is it tells the cylinders when to fire. I'm comfortable checking the wiring used a multimeter for many years. Just wasn't sure what to expect to see in the cabling. Assume I need to remove the intake manifold to get at these? Again thank you for any suggestions.

Anyone get an answer on this. I replaced the 3 easily accessible plugs and verified the coils are ok on those. The other 3 are under the intake (nice job Lincoln ). It will misfire randomly when taking off from a stop (like a red light) with no indicator lights or warning. In idle it's fine, in gear it will feel like misfire (sputter -sluggish). Randomly happens. Replaced the TPS and cleaned the MAF but still happens. Any thoughts what to check next?

sorry but you have to replace all the spark plugs to start with and if its only dropping one cylinder then make sure you do not have any oil getting on the spark plugs it sounds like a bad plug or wire but look at the plugs when you pull them and compare them with each other see if one is darker then the rest that will be your cylinder thats miss firing hope this helps

Thanks Steve. I have some time off here in the next few days and might dive into this. I really hate that the intake has to be pulled and wonder how some of these engineers keep their jobs....plugs, oil, filters should all be diy friendly...I'll get off my soapbox now :-) and come back with the resulta. Thanks again!

Ps - I have a 2004 LS 6 cyclinder

my 2002 ls v6 starts with no issues most of the time. However, there are times when it feels like a cylinder is misfiring. After a couple of minutes its fine. When I'm running with the AC on the car is fine until I'm at a red light. The car begins to knock over, again like a cylinder is misfiring. It is very subtle. There are times it happens ones or twice but there are times it becomes constant. I turn off the A/C and leave the fan on and the car is fine. Any ideas what may be causing this?

if you are still having a misfires problem replace both rear coils ive seen that 6 cylinder engine have intermediate misfires at random cylinders and when it says misfire at #3 cylinder does that mean number 3 in the firing order or number 3 as in the #3 cylinder as marked for the block when it says #3 misfire the block is set up cylinders 1 2 3 on one side and 4 5 6 on the other side replace both coils number 3 in the firing order and number 3 as located on the block or intake manifold or manual that way you know you replaced the #3 coil some computers read as in the firing order and some read as location of cylinder in the block I hope this makes sense to you. and the way the computer determines what cylinder is misfiring it uses the O2 sensor and either rich-ins or leans out each cylinder on that bank until it finds the cylinder that does not change the O2 sensor reading actually pretty simple good luck triple check all wires to all coils and sensors and grounds 9 times out of 10 something like this is a shorted or pinched wire

I have a 2002 LS V8 that was having similar misfiring issues and discovered that #8 plug was being fouled because of a partly clogged Catalytic Converters. I have to change the #8 plug (the plug closes to the Catalytic Converters) every 15, 000 to 20,000 miles but it does fix the problem. I first had the problem with only 45, 000 miles which seems like low mileage to have a catalytic converter going bad. Lincoln are now designed to the owners can't work on them. My 2002 LS V8 has no dipstick for the transmission and it and the A/C Freon fill value is located under the car and can only be accessed when the car is on a lift. Lincolns are designed to generate service revenue. The LS is the worse car ever built by Ford. Get rid of it before it dimes you to death!

So I replaced all the plugs and one coil which looked to be cracked. Car seems to have more power now but misfires continue usually when car is warmed up and after consistent high speed driving (usually >60mph. After a stop will have rough time to get moving. At that time I can consistently causes misfire between 40-50 mph when I goose the gas a bit. Any other ideas on what I can check?

Any awswers for last question? Mine is doing the same thing, since 2years