coolant fan

15

Asked by Apr 23, 2015 at 01:29 AM about the 1998 Ford Escort 2 Dr ZX2 Cool Coupe

head gasket, raidator, sensors, thermostat, fan, everything that has to do with the
coolant fan has been replaced, a week ago.    after a one hour drive on the freeway,  
80 degrees out side  windows down (air conditioner has not worked in 4 years) car
started over heating.  the Tempt gauage was 3mm away from the HOT  sign and when
I stoped I could smell anti-freeze and .  the I could hear the water "loudly". boiling away
and into the over flow tank.  the over flow tank was totally filled WATER COMMING
OUT.  the engin was do hot it took over a hour to cool off again to drive home.  I live in
Southern Arizona and tempratures in the summer range from 95-110 degrees for
weeks in a row. Its almost summer time and I need to get this fan working properly.   
Please help me
Mjfolley73

90,495

Double check the motor, make sure it runs if hooked directly to a power source. In your list I didn't see a fan relay replacement, as these do fail quite a bit might be a good idea. Als o double check the direction the fans runs when you jumper it, make sure it is pulling air through the radiator not pushing. There is of course the option of rewiring it to run anytime the key is turn on. HTH

90,495

I hope the head gasket didn't blow again after getting that hot.

15

Im looking for someone to help me do what you asked me to do. God I hope the head gasket didnt blow again too what a mess. I told the machanic that i have never heard the fan ever come on since they fixed that a month ago. and I feel thats why the head gasket blew . they said they tested it and it came on when it reached 220 degrees. but they never tested it by driving it.

15

So a month later (after they fixed the fan) the car is running like crap and suddenly the car dies and and wouldnt start again. I live approx 50 miles away from Tucson, had to rent a dolly and have a friend tow me in to drop off my car to the machanic's and it took them 2 sweeks to get to my car. drove home ok but i did notice the anti freeze smell. 2 days later going back to Tucson, didnt make it 40 miles and it over heated. they said they know its fixed but bring it in they will check it. oh sure, it over heats at 40 miles and they are at least 60 miles away. somethimes I hate being a female.

90,495

Is all the overheat at highway speeds? I hade a T-bird once that would take about 50 miles of highway driving then it would overheat, I replaced the water pump, thermostat, hoses, fan clutch, nothing I did was right then I bought a lazer temp sensing unit and drove it right to the point just before overheat and started checking things with the lazer point, I found that my radiator was only working at half capacity, it was like someone had drawn a line corner to corner, top part of the radiators corner was hot and the bottom was cold, no flow, replaced the radiator and Bingo no more overheat. Just something I thought I would share as your trouble sounds like the same problem. Your shop should have one of those tools, I have made sure I now keep one in my tool box. Also works on A/C and heat ducts too.