belt pops off.

Asked by Dec 28, 2014 at 03:34 PM about the 1998 Ford Escort 2 Dr ZX2 Cool Coupe

Belt comes off.replaced belt tensioner Nov 2013 it had exploded blew apart

7,590

You had a complete failure of a belt tensioner on a 98 escort zx2 ? in 2013 ? That's 15 years old at that time. how many miles ? And was there a belt tracking issue and a TSB issued for it at FORD ? After you repaired it, was there still a belt tracking issue ? does it have power steering ? If now, you have a belt that comes off, you need to do your repair research and find what bulletins may have been published with updated parts and or procedures. Check part numbers used and reinspect for bent, misaligned members in the sheave line, and correct. Attention to measurements and pulley alignment has been at issue with this style of accessory drive since their usage began on a wide number of vehicles. The companies that make these for the auto manufacturers have also had their own issues known in the aftermarket as well. You can ask dealer parts and service, or research on an auto database at the public library.

Best Answer

Has power stearin.185000.itpops off at the waterpump.what's sheave mean?

105,725

Might want to double check your belt routing diagram. If not routed correctly they will jump off. Should be one posted either on underside of your hood or along the front edge of engine compartment.

105,725

Nov 2013. So it's been doing ok for over a year? Might be time for a new belt or maybe something else is going wrong. Spin all pulleys by hand. Do any wobble? If so there's your problem.

7,590

"Sheave line" is an expression of all the components with pulleys being lined up and all being, say forward or rearward of a given point. You would "sight it in" or pick the component the book gives as the immovable one, and measure off it. The drawings relate to that idea, and the bulletins refer to it as that. It takes a function of the brain beyond linear or two dimensional thinking. They simplify it with one word.

7,590

They luv ya, cept they gotta cover their but