I ran my car completely out of gas... Now it has a full tank of gas it will not start.

Asked by Jun 03, 2013 at 06:51 AM about the 1998 Ford Escort 2 Dr ZX2 Cool Coupe

246,905

Doh! You either burned out the fuel pump, or your going to have to flush your entire fuel system from all the sludge that got picked up from the bottom of the tank.

24,995

One thing you can check is the "Fuel Cut Out" or Inertia switch. You'll need to look in the owners manual for it's exact location but usually, it's in the trunk. If that's tripped, it will shut the fuel pump off. The purpose of this switch is to shut off the fuel supply in an accident. Unfortunately, the possibility that your fuel pump has malfunctioned is quite high. Sludge is unlikely because of the in-line fuel filter and the recirculating fuel system that prevents such build up. Your fuel filter is also capable of removing some water from the fuel. Close the doors, roll the windows up and turn off all of the accessories. Put the seat belt on. Turn the ignition to the "ON" position. You should hear a noise (hum) from under the car in the rear seat area. It only lasts for 3 seconds when the engine isn't running so you may have to do it a few times. No sound usually indicates a fuel pump failure or no power to the pump (the cut off switch I mentioned earlier) but usually, the pump has failed.

75

I agree with Tracy, sounds good.

1,135

you either burned the fuel pump up or you sucked all the crap from the bottom of the tank into the system.

Best Answer

Well I looked in my truck found the shutoff Val button is pushed down. And when I turn the ignition over I can hear the pump come on.

1,135

if the pump comes on, thats good, but that doesnt mean its all ok. what it sounds like is your lines are clogged with the gunk from the bottom of your tank. take it in and have it looked at, if you keep trying to start the car the sludge crap could do damage to your lines, blowing them out and hurting your wallet even worse.