Overheating and leaking coolant

50

Asked by Mar 22, 2016 at 11:16 AM about the 2005 Lincoln LS V8 Sport

When i drive the car for more then 10 minutes the
car starts to overheat. Everytime I drive my car
when the car is moving it starts to overheat but
when I stop it cools down. And when I turn the car
off I can hear bubbling in the reservoir and then all
of a sudden it started leaking antifreeze out of the
car and I don't know where it's coming from. When
the car is idling it doesn't overheat and it does not
leak which makes it really irritating because i need
to find out where the leak is coming from. Also the
fan comes on sounds like about to take off in a jet
it's really loud and it stays on the whole time. There
used to be a time before it started happening that
the fan will come on and then it will go off after a
little while. But now when the engine starts to
warm up the fan comes on and now it just stays
on.

3,345

So before we go to Red Alert it may be a simple fix like a new thermostat ($10-$15 at any parts store). More serious issues, like the one you are describing with the car overheating when driving but not when its idling makes it less likely that the Head Gasket is blown. Also, you may wish the check the overflow resivoir and the cap on it, if it is damaged or leaking your coolant can bubble up out of it or evaporate. Are any warning lights on? What does the heat gauge look like when driving at highway speeds? Whats the temp gauge say when the car is sitting still? Does operating the heater on full while driving reduce the engine temp? All of these things play a factor. If you wish to answer I will monitor your post and come back to assist you with diagnosing the issue further. Best of luck!

50

The thempature light come on when the temp gauge is high when im driving. When i get to a stop sign or light them the gauge goes back down to normal. It only over heats when driving but doesnt when idleing from a cold start. Never tried to run the heater while it was hot. The cap on the reservoir is tight and makes a clicking sound when its turned

50

I changed the thermostat and now it still overheats but when i turn the heater on the temp gauge drops back down to normal and will stay there as long as the heat is on

3,345

So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the symptoms you are describing are all signs of a blown head gasket. One last thing before we dive into that issue. Have you completely flushed the coolant system, and have checked underneath a cold car for any leaks? The best way to determine if it is the head gasket would be to pull the oil dipstick. A lot of mechanics refer to this as "chocolate milk shake", meaning your oil will look like, just that, a chocolate milkshake it is the result of the leak in the gasket dumping coolant into the engine combining with the engine oil. If you pull the dipstick or drain the oil pan and it looks this way, I am 99.9% positive you have a blown head gasket. DO NOT continue to drive the car unless you want a cracked head (then we are talking full engine replacement). I would recommend having it towed to a reputable shop for a 2nd diagnosis. People usually freak when I tell them that its the head gasket as the labor costs on this fix are pretty high. If you are confident in your mechanical skills it is actually a relatively simple process. This is a video on diagnosing and replacing the gasket on a Mazda, but it is primarily the same on all vehicles. Let me know if you have any questions. If you check the oil and its clean. Let me know, there are other things we can move on to, to help get this fixed.

3,345

Oops! Would have helped had I entered the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEJ51BJ23yk Best of luck man!

50

Oil is clear but i do see what looks like antifreeze that has sprayed out of something near the thermostat

Hey bro johnie did u fix your problem? My car has the same thing

Hello I would like 2know if you found out what was making your car overheat

20

I have a 2002 Lincoln ls overheats when I'm stopped but on the highway it comes back down. The reservoir is bubbling and spraying out but I can't tell where. There is no leak. But it is aggravating. I can't figure it out.

My 2000 lincoln ls is doing the same thing except for I noticed the coolant leaks out of the side of the radiator, any suggestions?