Why does my Lincoln LS Shift hard

Asked by Jul 03, 2012 at 10:20 PM about the 2005 Lincoln LS V8 Sport

Hi all,

I have a 2005 Lincoln LS and the car seems to shift hard, during all typed of driving.  It has been doing this since I purchased the car and I have had it looked at by the dealer on several occassions, each time they told me they could not find and problems with it.  has anyone else had this problem, if so what was wrong with it.  Any advice would help.  My LS is the Sport with the V8.

The dealer isn't going to help you with little issues like this. See if you can find a local transmission shop, not a big name place, get some feedback on their work. Ask them to diagnose the trans for you. I don't think you need a new trans, try to sound informed and tell them you think the Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid Pack needs to be replaced. This seems to be a common issue on the transmission you have. There are 3 pressure control solenoids & 4 shift solenoids in one plastic part ,made by Bosch. You remove the trans pan,the gasket is reuseable silicone You remove the filter, You remove approx 7 -- T30 bolts, holding the solenoid pack & one 10mm electrical connector bolt. HPN-9L2Z7G391A about $400 for the part and add on labor. Add in some new Mercon V and filter kit and your good to go.

Johnny Adducci

I have had that problem with my 2005 also. It's because it has an electronic transmission for faster shifts, but it isn't very refined. Mine became smoother in normal driving after adding fluid, my dealer did it.

Muhammad Zaid

is it an auto ?! if yes have the transmission oil been changed from the time u bought it ! if not replace the old oil 70 % of all the auto tranny problems r solved by this because transmission oil too have a life so they start to become thick and clog the valve control body of the tranny system

My 2005 has started this too. I am going to have the trans serviced. Then change the control solenoid. Thank you all for the info. I love my LS. I am only 5'4'' so it fits me well. Mr ROC

I had my tranny fluid changed which made it shift even harder. the mechanic told me to take it to Ford and have them reset the computer. So I pulled the battery cable off for a minute and put it back on to reset the computer. Now the car shifts like it should... Try this first, its free

Ford dealerships know all about the faulty transmission in the 2005 LS and if they say they don't they are lying. I was told by my dealership that Ford has allocated so much money to help the cusumer pay for the replaceement of the transmission and that's exactly what my dealership did for me. I paid $2,500 out of a $4,500 replacement charge and my problems started while I still was under warranty and they refuse to acknowledge the faulty transmission. They said they couldn't find a thing wrong with it until I finally threaten to contact Ford about the issue and I discovered more information on-line. BOY, did they spill the beans on the faulty design issue with this model and year. But I'm still out $2,500. I'll never buy an other Ford product as long as I live and I'll be telling a whole lot of people about Ford and it's honesty

I need an answer myself! I have a 2004 Lincoln LS V8 and it's doing the exact same thing! I am so pissed about this, because Ford has had a recall/Extended and refuse to replace the Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs because my car has 126k Miles on it. I have made a complaint against them with the BBB and the Michigan Attorney Generals Office. I will ultimately contact the FCC and the FTC and the Media, if the don't fix my car ASAP!!!! I will never purchase another FORD!

I just purchased a lincoln ls 2004. My boyfriend has a transmission shop and he determined it needs a computer reflash... he said first check your pan and make sure

Make sure you're pan is completely clean with no debris whatsoever then a computer flash. .. Right you're of fluid must be used too.. hope this helps

Flip Martins

I have a 05 ls v8 and i recently change the right rear hub assembly and now my traction control light is blinking on my dash and after a few mins of starting my car i get a message sayin check advanced trac plz sombody help me reset this oh and i also tried disconnecting the batt but that didn't work ether.

Desperate need for help!!! i have a 2001 lincoln ls v8 I bought the car for a great price knowing it had this problem but I cannot figure it out. The engine runs perfect but not the same for the trans. When you put it into reverse you feel it go into gear, but it will barely move no matter how much you rev it. If you put it in d5 it does the same thing you can feel it go into gear but barely will move, if you pull it down into d1 it will go into gear then it will jerk again and you can go but you have to manually switch gears, they all work fine but you have to shift manually. When you get goin down the highway and you go to pass some one and get on it a little it will slip out of gear and you have to pull it down to d4 till it goes back into gear??? And it sound like the bearing in like a pully is going bad but it sounds like it's coming from the bell housing? And it was saying check transmission so I ran the codes and there were only two there was the output shaft sensor no signal. I changed it and no more check transmission or E on dash. The other was a p0840.

I have a 2002 Lincoln LS. My car has issues shifting from time to time too. The transmission has been torn apart 3 times and they couldn't find anything. The Ford Dealership and a mechanic couldn't figure it out either. Mine has been doing it for 7 years. Be thankful. It won't get any worse.

Please help I have a 2003 Lincoln LS that shits hard and does not shift into fifth gear the car has 143,000 miles runs good tranny just shits hard it will shift into fifth gear going down a hill but as soon as I accelerate it kicks it in to fourth even on the freeway please help

I just got my 2003 Lincoln ls 3.0l fixed with the same problems you guys are talking about. First they found that the servo pin was broken so they fixed that and replaced the solenoid pack took it for a test drive didn't even make it out of the shop. So they did more digging and found a service bulliton and it said to test the computers voltage and it should be at .74 and if its around .23 the computer needs to be replaced mine was at .22. So by the computer being bad. I guess it increased the pressure which snapped the servo and fried the solenoid pack so get the computer checked when you have hard ahifting. Right now I'm just waiting to see if they can find a computer cause there was only 1 left in North America for $975 this car is nice but dissapointing

Anyone who has the hard shifting get your computer check because I had hard shifting and I got the feelin oil change and the servo pin snap and it was still shifting hard so they check the voltage in the computer and it was at .23 when it should be at .74 and I was told that the computer should be recalled and that's why the Lincoln shift so hard and it bangs and a kiss so get the computer check because that's the culprit in most of the Lincoln LS a shifting hard it cost me $2,400 1000 of it was for the computer and the rest was labor and I needed a new cylinoid pack And servo pin

Which computer are you guys referring to. I just purchased a 2003 Lincoln LS, and I was aware of the hard shifting. So I figured I pay for the vehicle, then pay for the repairs and labor and it should equate to a reasonable purchase. I'm all about DYI, so I wanted to confirm which computer do I need checked before I start to change parts and perhaps do unnecessary work. I rather work smarter than harder.

I own a 2004 Lincoln ls v8 and it shifts really hard once I get in between 2 and 3 on the rpm . How do I reset the computer and will that help. And will Lucas caster oil help I've been told it would