O have a ford Contour 1998 the dashboard and tail lights are not working and the charge light is on and it keeps kill the battery. The alternator is new and the battery the key broke and I keep the old key next to the replacement key to start the car but these issues starrted after the key broke. Dio you think it is related?

Asked by Aug 17, 2014 at 09:12 PM about the 1998 Ford Contour 4 Dr SE Sedan

31,215

The no start and the key are related. Try to get a key cut with the code. Sears, among others can do that. As for the electrical problem. Check your relays and ground straps.

90

Your original key has a chip that generates a radio frequency to tell your car it's ok to start. If that chip is not near the key hole , your car will not start . That means any key that will turn your ignition lock assembly will start your car as long as that chip is in a close proximity to the halo sensing ring in the steering column. That's why you can still start your car . That will not affect your charging system. Your dash/tail light issue is probably a fuse. That fuse blew for a reason. Bulb in wrong is first check but could be any number of reasons. Dead battery ? Does car drive with all accessories on without dying? If yes than chances are it's charging fine. How long does car have to sit before battery goes dead? Time to check for parasitic drain. That's for tomorrow. Good luck and good night.