how do the transmissions hold up

Asked by Dec 04, 2006 at 05:33 PM about the 1998 Ford Contour 4 Dr SE Sedan

i have an automatic transmission and its slipping in first gear?can u help me out here.

19,155

Some late 90's fords had these problems. The Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) solenoid attaching bracket has been known to break, causing the transmission line pressure to fall. In addition, check the transmission fluid. The smell should be faint, not strong, and it should be relatively clear. You may need to change out your fluids.

I have the same problem with my 98'. I need to fix that bracket badly.

21,315

Their junk and you can not change the filer ever.they last between 70-100,000 depending how you drive.

1,345

throw some lucas adative (for transmissions in) and cross your fingers if it gets any better drive esay thoughs trannys are all scrap

5,395

The Contour's transmissions were definitely not their best part. Neither the ATX or the MTX

5,395

You might search around on the contour enthusiasts forum contour.org for tips.