1995 Kia Sephia idles rough in neutral and reverse

15

Asked by Mar 08, 2015 at 09:00 PM about the 1995 Kia Sephia LS

I've replaced plugs, air filter and oil.  Runs rough only in drive while idling or
when trying to go in reverse.  Car has been sitting for 9 months.  Any help
appreciated.  If you have any diagrams for the info you provide, would
appreciate.  Thank you.

155

Describe running rough. Does it sputter? Does the vehicle shake? Are the RPMs unusually high?

15

Yes it sputters when idling in drive until I step on the gas. Also when going in reverse. Yes it shakes at the same time. Sputtering and shaking stops when I press on the gas.

15

The car is a 1.6L single overhead cam...automatic

155

The sputtering can be caused by a multitude of things. If your comfortable and have mechanical knowledge and patience to go through the testing then I would be glad to help. Or else take to a mechanic for diagnostics only. It sounds like your car running too lean. You could spend $500 and not fix it right that is why it is important to diagnose it before replacing parts. Check engine light is not on. Check the fuel filter. Take out the Mass Air Flow sensor and spray it with some carb cleaner. The shaking could be caused by the same thing like its trying to shut off or motor mounts. But we will stick to the lean fuel ratio first.

15

Funny...my next step was to replace the fuel filter. The check engine light is not on, but the flasher lights do come on and stay on for a few minutes, then go off. Can you explain what "lean fuel ratio" means. I'm not a mechanic, but am mechanically inclined. I am very willing to do the work, with any help you can provide.

155

There is a ratio of air/fuel that is perfect to run a car. Lean fuel ratio means that the engine is getting more air than fuel. That means that something is blocking the flow of fuel or a sensor is not detecting the mixture correctly and is allowing too much or not enough of something through. You can test the fuel filter by removing it (under the driver seat or back seat usually. Don't spill any gas out. Then away from the car tilt the filter forward (the end that pointed to the front of the kia) and let the gas come out. Once all the gas is out tip it the other way. If gas comes out then it is blocking fuel from going through it.

15

Under the car? I saw what looked like the fuel filter attached to the firewall in the engine. What is this item? I can send a pic in the morning.

155

That will most likely be the evap canister.

15

Is this the fuel filter?