how to fix my oxygen sensors

65

Asked by Dec 28, 2014 at 08:16 PM about the 1999 Kia Sportage Base 4WD

i have a 1999 kia sportage that had the check engine light on for a long time and i
recently pluged in and the o2 sensors basically was reading slower and less responsive
than usual and i just bought the o2 sensors and had them installed and the inspection is
coming up and i was just wondering how to get them to work properly so i can get the
check engine light off and have it inspected.

19,515

disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so for a hard reset. or use a scan tool to reset it, follow the codes , it may be a number of causes

65

well when i pluged it in it said about 3 things 1 computer malfunction 2 oxygen sensor downstream malfunction 3 oxygen sensor upstream malfunction

65

could it be the catalytic converter

19,515

no thats another code, although it needs the o2 sensors to monitor the cat, a leaking header pipe gasket ahead of the cat will mess everything up also big time

695

I would guess this is related to the the coil the house acts the element when cold. I had a similar issue with an acura. Clear the code with a scan tool, it it keeps coming on change it. I would get one every 3-6 months. Did it for 3 years..

10

I know this is old. Check your exhaust manifold for a hairline crack. The Sportage of this generation is known for cracked exhaust manifolds AND faulty wiring to the bank 1 o2 sensor, if not the bank 2 sensor also.