Rear Brakes

Asked by Apr 05, 2016 at 05:33 PM about the 1999 Ford Windstar 3 Dr LX Passenger Van

Just replaced both the shoes and drums on the rear.  Drivers side is binding
on something. The shoes don't seem to be tight but when I reinstall the tire
and tighten the lugs I am unable to turn the wheel.  Switched drums from side
to side and the problem stays on the drivers side. Cleaned the backing plate.
Adjuster is all the way in. If I try to drive it, it heats up very fast on that side.

The problem, might be one of the springs

There is a long shoe and a shorter shoe. The shorter brake shoe go's toward the front of the vehicle and the longer shoe go's toward the rear of the vehicle.

You may have 2 longer shoes on the one side and 2 shorter shoes on the other. Bet the you have 2 long shoes on the drivers side.

Thanks for the responses. I have replaced all of the springs. Not possible to get the shoes mixed. One has a stud for the self adjuster. There is only one way that these will even fit. Even have to be on the proper side of the car. Could a worn bearing cause something like this?

The bearing would have to be pretty bad, lot of movement up and down in the hub, and noise coming from the bearing.

May be a frozen wheel cylinder not allowing the brake shoe to seat all the way at the top.

How do I check for a frozen wheel cylinder? Would it just not go in if I tried to move it?

The brake shoes need to seat on the top stationary post. You push the shoes together at the top. What you could do is peal back the rubber boot and look and see if there is any signs of rust behind it. Passenger side is working and you say the shoes are right. Chances are the wheel cylinder is froze up.

Say I was thinking on this and another possibility would be if the emergency brake cable had ben pulled at one time and is froze up. Make sure you check the e-brake cable that it is not holding up the shoes.

Thank you Rowefast. It was the cylinder. All good and back in business. Of course the line going into it was rusted and twisted off so I had to replace that part of the brake line. Why is it that it seems that for any repair on a Ford, you start at the back bumper and just start taking things apart. Thanks again for your insight.

Well, its a Ford you know....glad you got it fixed.

I'm back. Now 99 Ford Windstar. Starts and runs fine when cold. But,.. once it warms up, if I stop someplace then go to start again it runs really rough for a short time then settles out and seems to run fine. No lights. Has run rough enough to stall. Seems to be something about A being warm and B starting. Changed plugs and wires (no small feat). I know air filter needs replacement but at 25 buck I've been slow on that one. Any thoghts?

Try running some fuel injection cleaner threw, and possible coil pack which can be tested at Auto Zone if you take it off. One other thing of the top of my head would be fuel pressure, may want to check fuel pressure when you know this is gonna happen. Looks like it should be 30 to 45 lbs.