2002 Kia Sportage I have a bad catalytic converter can I remove them without it causing any problems?

Asked by Dec 14, 2013 at 12:11 AM about the 2002 Kia Sportage Base 4WD

My 2002 KIA Sportage started to loose power, I stopped took a look under the car and as i assumed the catalytic converter was red hot.  I was close to home so I let it cool and  limped home.

20,345

it wont hurt the rest of the car but the o2 sensors will not be reading and you'll be in open loop at the pcm, check engine light will be on always and cannot pass a smog test. by now most states have some way to insure the equipment for smog is at least attached

93,095

You may have other problems than just a catalytic converter, what caused the converter to get red hot in the first place ie too rich, too lean, bad fuel, engine misfire, have the codes checked before just assuming a fault exists, I've seen catalysts glow red too and after the real problem was fixed the cats survived.

NO...it will not run properly~.....period~

1,975

agree with judge. if anything get a half decent universal and put that on. but i doubt thats your problem

Thanks for all your help. I'm getting my info from my dad and sometimes he likes to do it the way they did in the 70's but, I have done it it on some trucks from the 90's - on up to 94. If I have any more questions I'll ask.

check for an undervoltage condition....12.5 none less...what will happen is the heated 02 sensors will not read correctly...blaming them is wrong...give them the 12.5 volts with at least 20 steady amps to perform~ wirebrush the 1/0 battery connection, wirebrush the ground where it attaches~ ....get a NEW battery if yours is older than five and won't perform under demands~

20,345

or improvise like me the unorthodox outlaw ,throw in what's called a test pipe {wonder why} a straight pipe. buy two sensor threaded sleeves and sleeve extension, install the sensor in front to balance mix, install sensor 2 now backed up enough to sniff almost nothing and give the pcm the correct signal,like "I,M checking back here and its very clean" No engine lights, no restrictions,no cat, 3 more mpg ! love it! Sorry tree huggers the planet is doomed anyway for other reasons

20

My. Car. Keep. Off